- 1 Wellborn 2R Super Tomahawk Ribeye steak, bone-in (approx 50 ounces.)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- Rub steak with olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat grates with vegetable oil spray. Close cooking chamber lids.
- Place 3-5 lbs. of charcoal, in center of the firebox. Open the firebox air vent approximately 1-2″, and smokestack damper halfway. With firebox lid open, stand back, carefully light charcoal and allow to burn until covered with a light ash. (Approximately 20 minutes)
- Once coals have ashed over, add wood chunks. Do not shut firebox lid until the smoke is clean, often called Blue Smoke.
- Close firebox lid. Adjust the firebox air vent and smokestack damper to regulate cooking temperature. The ideal smoking temperature is 275°F.
- Place steak on smoker for approximately 2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 145℉ (medium rare), turning halfway through cooking time.
- Allow steak to rest approximately 5 minutes. Slice against the grain of the steak.
Kitchen tip: To make slicing easier, slice along bone and then horizontally against the grain.
Inspired by 1848 BBQ