Teriyaki Sauce :
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1½ pounds Wellborn 2R tri-tip, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Wood or Metals skewers
Slice the Tri Tip against the grain in 1/4″ thickness, then marinate for an hour or overnight in teriyaki sauce (you can use store bought if you are in a hurry).
Skewer the meat strips and then grill for about 3 minutes on each side. Spice it up or down as much as you like with red pepper flakes.
While you are at the grill – make some watermelon, pineapple and mango kabobs, sprinkle with salt, chili powder and lime juice and grill them alongside the Tri Tip.
Pro tip from our butcher Carl: Tri-tip beef has two different grain directions. Locate where they intersect and cut vertically at the intersection point, which makes it easier to slice against the grain properly.