This lean entre is a favorite of the ranch owner, Chris Wellborn and his wife, Joan. Great for two people or throw on some more meat and serve to guests. Prep your salad and dressing ahead of time, and you will still have time to enjoy a glass of wine before dinner, which will take less than 10 minutes to cook. This meal serves two – but can easily be adjusted for more people. And a super great idea for a healthy and fast mid-week meal.
For the Beef:
- One 8-ounce package Wellborn 2R Filet Mignon Tips
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter (or skip the butter and use 2 Tbsp olive Oil)
- Fresh Ground Kosher or Pink Himalayan Salt and Pepper to Taste
For the Salad:
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup torn romaine leaves
- 1 cup torn salad greens
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (if desired)
- 4 ounces of Feta Cheese, crumbled (or blue cheese, or parmesan, or no cheese if you prefer)
- Take the Filet Mignon Tips out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you are ready to cook. Prepare your salad during this time while it comes to room temperature.
- To cook, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Wipe the meat dry and season well with the salt and pepper. You can add garlic to the oil if you like. Grill the meat for about 4 minutes per side, depending on how you like your beef cooked. Cover and set aside to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- For the salad: Put the spinach, romaine and salad greens in a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, scallions, red pepper and red onion. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss with a little dressing. Add the feta cheese crumbles.
- To serve: Slice the beef thinly against the grain. Place a pile of the salad on 1 big platter and drape the meat over the salad. Serve extra dressing on the side.
The dressing options are limitless – you can you go with a balsamic raspberry vinaigrette for a lighter meal, a hearty homemade blue cheese or ranch for a little more punch, or a honey mustard would be great as well. Add some avocadoes and spice it up with a creamy cilantro lime dressing.