Backyard Flank Steak Teriyaki
Flank steak is one of the best values for a top quality steak. Sweet and salty marinated flank steak is such a foolproof crowd-pleaser and super easy to make. Serve in high summer as the sun goes down and the temperature drops. One flank steak can serve 4 people.
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce (or other hot sauce) optional
- In a small bowl mix together the marinade ingredients and set aside.
- With a sharp knife create cross hatch marks on both sides of flank steak. Just cut the surface slightly, don't cut through meat. This will create crispy edges and caramelized flavors that are so delicious.
- In a sealable bag or container add the flank steak, garlic and marinade. Squeeze air out of bag and seal. Massage meat to get marinade into cuts and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat grill to 350-400°F. Remove flank steak from marinade. Reserve marinade for basting.
- Grill flank steak 6 minutes per side, or until an internal temperature of 130-135°F is reached for medium rare. Baste several times during grilling. Place on a cutting board and allow meat to rest 10 minutes before slicing. Be sure to cut thin slices across the grain for a tender piece of meat.