TEX-MEX STREET TACOS
Wellborn 2R Flank Steak Street Tacos with Cheese, Cilantro and Onion
- 2 Wellborn 2R Flank Steaks
- ¼ cup silver tequila
- 2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 16 corn tortillas
- Toppings: Minced white onion, chopped cilantro. Optional toppings: Cojita cheese, lime wedges, pico de gallo (recipe follows)
PICO DE GALLO (YIELDS 2 CUPS)
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Place tequila, soy sauce, garlic, lime juice, orange juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, jalapeño pepper, shallot and cilantro in a freezer proof zip-top bag. Add flank steak. Seal and marinate 6 hours to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat gas or charcoal grill to 400°F.
- Remove meat and discard marinade. Place steaks on oiled grates and grill for approximately 4-6 minutes on one side or until moisture startes to pool on the top and beef releases easily from the grates with tongs. Flip once, grilling on the other side for 4-6 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145°F with meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the steak. Transfer steaks to a platter and let rest for 3 minutes before slicing against the grain, into ¼-inch thick strips.
- Warm the tortillas for 30 seconds on each side in a dry skillet or on the grill.
- Stack 2 tortillas, add beef, toppings and lime juice if desired.
- Combine pico de gallo ingredients in mixing bowl and toss thoroughly.
Recipe courtesy of: Chef Tiffany Blackmon at beeflovingtexas.com
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 380; Total fat 16g (Sat. fat 5g; Trans fat 0g); Cholest. 75mg; Sodium 500mg; Total Carb. 27g; Fiber 3g; Total Sugars 1g; Protein 27g; Vit D (0% DV); Calcium (15% DV); Iron (15% DV); Potas. (14%DV)